One of the things that seemingly every woman online is looking for is a "good sense of humor". I have always been mystified by exactly what this means. Are these women looking for a man to laugh at their jokes? Someone who likes to watch "The Daily Show"? Someone who finds comedy in the foibles of others?
Or how about someone who actually makes or tells jokes? What kind of jokes would these be?
- Self-deprecating humor? ("I'd never date anyone who would have me for a partner." (Sorry Groucho.))
- Jokes about bad dates? ("This guy I met on Match wore one blue sock and one black sock to our first date. Calling the fashion police. Hello!")
- Political humor? ("How about those oil prices? I went to fill up my tank and they offered to roll it into my mortgage.")
- Celebrity Jokes? ("Did you hear what happened to James Frey when Oprah yelled at him? Yeah, he broke into a million little pieces.")
- Health Jokes? (Yeah, we're all getting older. I saw my Doctor because I was feeling unable to concentrate at work. I kept running around trying to do a million things at the same time. I could never get anything done. It's like I was hyper all the time. My wife thought I might need a little help and her friends had told her that I might have Asperger's Syndrome. Have you heard of it? A lot of talented people apparently have had it. Well, I asked the Doctor and he said that was exactly along the lines of what he was thinking except that he thought I had an even rarer condition called "Half-Asperger's" and that there was no cure.")
I sure wish that someone would post a guidebook for men. Trying to predict what's funny to a woman is a delicate art. It's almost as problematic as figuring out the Muslim sense of humor.